Thursday, September 14, 2006

I lost


Adelyn celebrating Aunt Stacy's alma matter (Iowa State)

It has been my goal to get Adelyn to bed at a 'normal' time now that she is the big 3 months old. It is my hope to have her peacefully resting in her basinet by 9. Well it has proven to be trickier then expected but I feel like we are making progress. I very much enjoy the bed time routine but we have yet to be successful with the 9 pm part. Tonight was the golden night--I was rocking a sleepy baby at 8:30 with a few stories to read. 8:50 she was out with a full belly that would hopefully take her to at least 2 am. But of course she woke up 5 mins after getting in the basinet as I was unloading the dishwasher. So, I decided I would just wait it out.

We started ECFE class today and several of the moms were speaking so highly of the 'let them cry themselves to sleep' routine. They argued putting the baby to bed awake emphasising the importance of babies being able to soothe themselves to sleep. Although I can appreciate the need to sooth themselves back to sleep I have been opposed to the cry it out theory. But I figured why not give it a try. I am impressed that I lasted a whole 25 minutes (with a few stops in the bedroom to sing a lullaby but not take her out) but eventually I was too weak to endure!

What is the harm in snuggling your baby to sleep? How can I resist that happy little smile? Ohh well. It was worth a try. I'm sure pro-baby wise people would say I need to stick it out but I don't have it in me. It makes both of us happy to snuggle her back to sleep and then I can just 'relax' while I clean up the kitchen instead of look at the clock every 30 seconds to see if I can go up to her room yet. I sure love that little peanut!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like sis's comment on are the Bradleys known to stay up late haha. I can't believe you waited 25 minutes either actually I'm surprise Jon let her cry that long. Usually she gives a yelp and he's there hehe. I can't believe she still fits in that outfit. What a tiny peanut! Love you guys. Sis, you are spending more time on this blog then your own!

Love you

10:56 AM  
Blogger Bradley said...

Actually Jon was at hockey or your right that it probably wouldn't have been that long :) Murphy only lasted 4 mins before he barged in there to peak on her but I shooed him out.

I don't feel bad about her looking like a Bradley because I think her daddy is cute (and the other Bradleys too!) Why are you so dang lucky? I guess you can use that $$ to come back down and visit soon!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon, you are ambitious. I will be the last to tell you not snuggle with them. All 3 of our kids have slept with us until at least they are one, and the 2 older ones still don't make it the whole night without sleeping alone. We did the cry it out with Jake, but not until he was one. With Isabelle we tried it but she cried/screamed for 3 hours for 3 days straight, so i gave on that one. I think it depends on the child. they are only little once, and they will sleep and soothe themselves before they go to College so don't sweat it. Do what makes you and Jon happy. She is gorgeous. We need to get together very soon!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sleep "thing" sounds like us. All three kids wanted to snuggle or be rocked every time they went to sleep. That was my fault or liking depending on how you look at it. We tried harder with NIck than with the first two. But, they all turned out better than okay, so what does it matter in the long run. Don't stress over it.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home