Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Good Bye Bark, Hello Shadow

As you know, our beloved Murphy is a great dog but tends to bark a little too freely. Well, after talking about it for many months we have finally invested in a bark shock collar. Before you gasp in disgust, it claims to be designed by pet lovers so it really isn't intended to be cruel. We bought it a few months ago but only got up the courage to try it this week (since company is coming to town this weekend).

The way it works is each time he barks it shocks him and beeps, increasing strength if he continues to bark. So far he has not barked more then one time but hasn't yet figured out that its the collar doing it. The poor guy jumps in the air then looks around like 'what the heck was that?!' He has now turned into my personal shadow whenever its on. I'm assuming because he thinks there is some mean ghost loose in the house. He could NOT be closer to my feet at all times. Yesterday I was putting away laundry so I would walk to the basket, Murphy would lay by my foot. I'd walk over to the dresser. He'd follow and lay on my foot. The poor dude! Finally I took it off because he was too scared to even think about barking. Now I just put it on today and he barked once and same thing. He is laying across both my feet. It definitly is working with the barking but hopefully he doesn't act like this forever. I think he's smart enough to figure it out soon. Even if we just put it on when company is over it should suffice. Please note, we really are not mean dog abusers as we love our little pooch very much!

On another note, Adelyn's check up went great! She was chatting with the dr. for quite a while and I think she was impressed with her vocabulary--hehe. Dad wiped the tears away from the shots this time (both his and hers) while I lounged on the other side of the room in a chair. She really did recover quickly and has been sleeping most of the afternoon so hopefully that's a good sign. The results are:

weight: a whopping 11 lb 6 oz which is only the 15th percentile but right on track for her
height: 25 inches = 75th percentile
head: 40 (I don't know what metric--cm?) = 25th percentile

All in all, she is doing great. It seems crazy that at her next appt. we will be talking about introducing FOOD! I hope its easier then it sounds because as of right now I am scared of figuring out that whole process. Plus by the next appt we would like her to be sleeping happily in the comfort of her pretty crib so cross your fingers on that one :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Poor Murphy, I think even Nick will be sad to hear how he acts.

Yeah for Addy, 11 lbs, she is now heavier than my dumbells! Brielle weighed in at 13 lbs.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home